Materials for torrent workshop 9/13/11
µTorrent client – cross platform torrent client
- Client: the program you keep running to download and seed files
- Leecher: does not have 100% of the files
- Seeder: has 100% and is sharing back
- Seeding: Uploading already downloaded pieces to leechers. You can seed parts that you have finished while you leech.
- Tracker: Maintains a list of all seeders and leechers to connect them
- .torrent file: describes all the pieces of the shared files and what trackers to use
- UDP: in short, a broadcast only communication. Where HTTP and TCP are conversations, UDP is shouting across a room with your ears covered.
.torrent file for Drive A – The World in Shambles album. Sounds like pop-punk, but it's free. .torrent file for Loophole by Greendjohn album. Kind of like a movie soundtrack. Opposite of the Drive A album.
- Always seed
- Seed to a ratio of at least 1. That means you have uploaded as much as you have downloaded
- Create torrents with your files in a folder
Not many free and open trackers work anymore. OpenBitTorrent is one of the few that works.
A note on UDP Trackers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_tracker
Use these two when creating torrents:
Torrent file storage
You can email your
.torrent files around or use Torrage to store your file and share the unlisted link.